8.04 to 10.04 dist upgrade

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Sun Aug 29 15:04:08 UTC 2010

On 30/08/2010 00:44, Tony Pursell wrote:

> I had terrible problems going to Lucid from Karmic on my desktop PC. I
> could only boot into recovery modes using old kernels.  Or by using a
> live USB.
> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/573776
> In the end I just had to bite the bullet and do a re-install.  Luckily,
> I had /home in its own partition so I re-installed without reformatting
> it,  which saved all my personal settings (like Firefox bookmarks).

The two things I always backup daily to another HD and also to a flash
memory stick, or whatever you want to call it, are ~/.mozlla and
~/.thunderbird directories. The rest of the /home directory are
re-installable but your Firefox and Thunderbird data is nothing to fool
around with - provided, of course, that you use Firefox and Thunderbird
(unless you don't care if you lose your messages and FF
passwords/bookmarks for URLs). If you use something else then
religiously back these up.

Vulgar language is the linguistic crutch of inarticulate mentally challenged.