safe to upgrade to meerkat alpha 3?

Jonathan Hudson jh+ubuntu at daria.co.uk
Sat Aug 28 08:19:31 UTC 2010

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 17:38:51 -0700, NoOp wrote:

>On 08/27/2010 03:03 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>
>>   after a couple glasses of wine, i'm willing to live dangerously and
>> upgrade my fully-updated lynx system to maverick meerkat alpha 3, as
>> discussed here:
>>
>> http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/maverick/alpha3
>>
>>   any reason i shouldn't?
>
>Yes. If you currently use an nvidia-96 driver it won't work with xorg
>1.9, you'll need to use the nouveau driver & will no longer have compiz 3D.
>
>Also, be sure that you bypass 2.6.35-16 (BUG: scheduling while atomic:)
>& go straight to 2.6.35-19. Of course you can then wait out:
>https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/policykit-1-gnome/+bug/623819

And if you want to live a little more dangerously with an nvidia card,
add xorg-edgers-ppa for glorious gallium powered compiz 3D with nouveau.

Been fine here for a while, modulo the recent policykit annoynace (it
has root on compressed btrfs too, must be headed for a big fail soon,
but it's the scratch box and I don't care --- that's what's its for).

I have a somewhat more conservative meerkat on various other ia32 and
ppc machines (virtual and real), and there have been no real problems,
only the odd annoyances expected at this stage. All depends on your
appetite for risk v. innovation, which this list can't assess.

-jh