Ubuntu or Red-Hat for servers?

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Thu Aug 26 15:30:14 UTC 2010

M. Milanuk wrote:
> On 08/25/2010 09:45 PM, Christopher Chan wrote:
>> Never used the forums so I know nothing about it.
>>

> I use the forums for whatever distro I'm tinkering with at the time
> because of the persistent data and search functions.  I like mailing
> lists and all, but some of the better forum software have pretty
> fine-grained search controls so I can narrow down what I'm looking for,
> or at least eliminate a lot of chaff right up front.  The good news
> (from sneaking a peek at their developer mailing list) is that they are
> finally making some headway on final testing of their website and forum;
> hopefully it will be a change for the better.

I remember something about the website but nothing about the forums...

>> Really? I can understand when it's some bastardized version of Centos
>> but they harangued for installing CentOS on Virtualbox? Did you get
>> Centos on Virtualbox or not?
>
> Oh, sure.  It installs just fine, given the generic set of hardware that
> Virtualbox presents to it.  The question at the time (near as I
> remember, been a while) was more related towards setting up a CentOS
> install as a firewall/gateway between an internal (virtual) network and
> the external net (my LAN).  If I hadn't mentioned it was on Virtualbox,
> it probably never would have been an issue.  Later I realized they (the
> CentOS crew) seem to have a sore spot about virtualization as they must
> get a lot of people who get virtual host accounts that nominally have
> CentOS installed but that have been tweaked in someway... so they
> apparently write off any and all such situations as 'not their problem'.

openvz, plesk, cpanel are definitely not their problem. Them companies
should not be advertising CentOS because it is NOT CentOS. Same too for
the case when the guest is Ubuntu. It ain't. I also don't bother with
questions from those environments. They should head to their hoster or
plesk/cpanel/openvz for support, not the CentOS/Ubuntu community.

> I'm sure the group as a whole are not complete a-holes... but man, I
> sure managed to run across a couple who made up for the rest.

TBH, I previously got on #centos for laughs but did help the occasional
serious dude that did their homework.