State of the 64bit?

Thomas Yao t.yao426 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 00:35:13 UTC 2010

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 8:25 AM, Avi Schwartz
<ubuntu-users352 at cfftechnologies.com> wrote:
> I am currently running 10.04 in with a 32bit kernel on my Dell Studio
> XPS 16 laptop but I am considering switching to 64bit mainly because my
> machine has 8GB RAM of which the 32bit version sees only 3GB.
>
> Few years ago I tried running 64bit but found the experience lacking to
> put it mildly for a desktop. There were issues with Java, Flash and
> other proprietary software.
>
> My question is whether the 64bit situation has improved? I know there is
> currently no 64bit version of flash for Linux (if there will ever be)
> but will the 32bit version run reasonably well in a 64bit environment?
> Good enough for YouTube, Hulu, etc? What about the ATI driver (the
> proprietary one)? Any other issues I need to take into consideration
> while making the decision?

I DO NOT recommand you switch to 64-bit version due to the flash
pluggin usually crashed under the system. I just switch back to 32bit
weeks ago cuz I can't bear such kind of problem any more.
Just like you I often go to Youtube so it's really important for a
working flash pluggin.
And you can install the linux-image-pae package via aptitude to get
the big memory support(>4GB) for 32bit.

Next time, try google before you ask the question, you'll get answer
easier and faster than post your question on the mailing list :)

Good luck

--
@ghosTM55
Mechanism, not policy