what disklabel to set on a hd I am reusing for a Linux only system

Karl Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 12:06:56 UTC 2010

On 08/24/2010 06:35 PM, Robert Swanson wrote:
> 	I am going to install linux on an older Athalon powered IBM Aptiva computer.
> I was thinking of installing Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper because I don't know if the
> newer versions would work on an older computer.  ( If it is possible to use a
> newer version, please advise me ).
> 	The problem is, that I have an older 80Gig drive that I couldn't access with
> Gparted.  I was forced to put the drive in an xp box and use partition magic
> just to access the drive.  Now I have it back in the Linux box and I can
> access the drive, but the program is now asking me what label I want to use.
> The two appropriate choices are msdos, or GPT, is it OK to use gpt?  Will
> Kubuntu 6.06 be able to read it?
> Thanks
> Bob

         Even in an old computer I would try to load Ubuntu 10.04
Desktop 32 bit. The newest version has more drivers for video and sound
than the older.

     I think the Live CD-Rom will let you check the computer right away
and see if it will support what you want.

73 Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User