Are there any phones/PDAs which can synchronise with Ubuntu nowadays?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Sat Aug 14 21:23:48 UTC 2010

On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 03:58:17PM +0100, James Hogarth wrote:
[snip]

> Some possibilities depending on your preferences....
>
> Research some appropriate phones that work with the SyncML standard...
> those *should* be able to sync with Evolution or another client with a
> syncML backend...

Have you actually *tried* syncML in reality, it's not either
straighforward or simple in my experience.  Yes, you *can* get it to
work but it's a *long* way from working 'out of the box'.

> Get an Android based phone with a google account and let that all sync
> up... I know you did say you don't want a 'cloud' server but it works
> very well for me ;)

I suspect that's what most people do nowadays.

> Fire up synaptic and search for phone sync and see what apps it
> suggests and what they are compatible with maybe?

... and it comes up with syncevolution which is much like syncML in
mye experience.  Yes, it *can* be made to work but simple it isn't.

--
Chris Green