Is it just me, or is there a reason for it?

Steve Lamb grey at dmiyu.org
Sat Aug 14 07:22:29 UTC 2010

On 08/12/2010 02:40 PM, Amedee Van Gasse wrote:
> What is better: too much logging or too little logging?

     Too little.  Too much is trivial (in spite of what R Kimber says) to
remove.  It takes very little grep fu.  3 characters do it all.  -, v and |.
Some like bothering you?  Remove it with -v.  Some line you need to highlight,
don't use -v.  Complex searches can be chained together with a pipe trivially
enough.

     Simply put, too much logging can easily be culled with grep -v.  There is
absolutely no grep command that can magically create the missing logs.

     One caveat though.  Repeated, useless logs are useless.  I don't need to
know, 10,000 times a second, that a service is unable to connect to a network
pipe that has closed down.  If it is a fatal error, log and DIE, don't log and
repeatedly bang your head against the wall, logging each thump.  Something I
wish my corporate overlords would impress upon our development overlords.  ;)

--
          Steve C. Lamb         | But who can decide what they dream
        PGP Key: 1FC01004       |      and dream I do