Maverick Alpha3 +nvidia-96 +updates

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 13 16:36:18 UTC 2010

On 08/13/2010 09:21 AM, NoOp wrote:
> On 08/11/2010 11:11 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:
>> NoOp wrote:
>> [ ... ]
>>
>>> Update the system again & reboot: nvidia-96 and compiz are still
>>> working fine. So my suspicion is that 2:1.8.99.905-1ubuntu1 is the
>>> primary issue. Unfortunately, pinning to the 1.8.1.902 version seems
>>> to cause holding back 43 other packages:
>>
>> Could it be related to this message?
>> <https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-discuss/2010-August/011962.html>
>>

>> Nils
>>

> Got this informative response back from Robert Hooker on the dev-discuss
> list:
>
>> You are going to have to use nouveau for now, the proprietary
>> nvidia-96 and nvidia-173 drivers do not work with xserver 1.9 and most
>> likely will not until right before release. 256.44 that is in
>> ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates does work for the GPU's it supports with
>> IgnoreABI added to the serverflags section in your xorg.conf but the
>> older releases don't. If you want accelerated 3D (for compiz) with
>> nouveau you can install the libgl1-mesa-dri-experimental package if
>> you are using the mesa 7.8 that is in maverick.
>>
>> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14 is the proper
>> place to report the problem, we can't do anything about it with the
>> binary drivers.
>
> So heads up.

Gets worse:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?&t=153963
>From AaronP (the nVidia guy that helps/supports Ubuntu):
<quote>
Re: X server 1.9 crash with 173.14.27
Prerelease and release candidate X servers are not officially supported.
In addition, Keith just declared the ABI in the upcoming xserver 1.9
series as frozen, so support will be coming soon in a future version of
the current release series, but support in the legacy drivers is not
considered a particularly high priority so don't expect it any time soon.
</quote>