can't open floppy disc

James Hogarth james.hogarth at
Wed Aug 11 04:48:59 UTC 2010

> OK, so this is no longer holds true for kernels after 2.4. I'll keep
> this in mind. Thanks.

Sorry if that came over a little harsh.... my grandfather passed away
today (well yesterday now) and I'm a little short of sleep....

PnP hasn't been an issue for a while now and is part of the PCI
specification... the chances are likely that your system just ignores
the BIOS and reallocates resources regardless of BIOS setting anyway

It was only *really* an issue in the initial implementations of it
back when ISA still existed... ah the memories of setting jumpers and
working out IRQ and DMA tables by hand to avoid conflicts ;)