can't open floppy disc

James Hogarth james.hogarth at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 03:27:23 UTC 2010

> Just a bit more about this.
>
> Linux expects the BIOS to be in control of all things.
>
> On the other hand Windows is quite happy to be in control over some
> things which is why the PnP "system" was developed.
>
> Even if you are dual-booting and have Windows installed, in your BIOS
> make sure that the setting for "using PnP system", or some such, is OFF
> - or respond with NO or whatever but just make sure that the BIOS is
> told that no PnP devices are installed (even if they are).
>
> Windows won't fall apart - it will still keep going as before, but Linux
> will appreciate this move.
>
> (Read about this in one of my reference books when I first started
> playing around with Linux and therefore have always had the PnP thingie
> OFF.)
>
> BC

Poppycock!

I even took the trouble in investigate this one since it sounded
counter to my experiences and well... rubbish...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=linux+PnP+BIOS

The only references remotely valid with regards to linux and potential
PnP issues date from pre 2.4 kernels... given that the HAL (udev) and
2.6.X are *somewhat* more developed than hotplug et al from the old
2.2 and 2.4 HAL days that were originally in use... well suffice it to
say any OS from windows 2k and upwards (so that includes all of
Ubuntu... every release...) can *and should* have the PnP OS setting
to true in the BIOS if that option is there.

James