Thunderbird

Preston Hagar prestonh at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 21:59:04 BST 2010

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 8:39 AM, Kaushal Shriyan
<kaushalshriyan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Are there good notifiers for thunderbird on Ubuntu Linux 10.04
> desktop,I mean if i click on it i am able to open the message ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Kaushal

I have searched long and hard for this since my upgrade to Lucid
(10.04) and subsequent upgrade to Thunderbird 3.  I am right now using
a combination of FireTray:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/4868/

and Libnotify Popups:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/11530/

The Libnotify one provides popups using the Linux libnotify system.
You can't click on them though to go to the email.  Libnotify drove me
crazy because you could only get the popups to show up in either the
top right or middle right of the screen.  I have a dual monitor setup
and specifically wanted them in the lower right of my right most
screen.  I ended up having to download the source and change a few
lines to get it where I want it to be (apparently the libnotify
developers don't want to allow the end user to change the position of
the notifications because they might get confused or something, I
didn't really understand the reasoning).

Anyway, I would sometimes miss the popups, like if I say left my desk
for a little bit, and wouldn't know if I had received any new email or
not unless I just checked my Thunderbird.  I was accustomed to the
Thuderbird Biff add on from Thunderbird 2 which has a tray icon that
changes from one icon to another depending on if you have mail or not.
 The closest replacement I found was the FireTray addon.

FireTray puts a thunderbird icon in your system tray.  When you have
new email, it changes to an ugly greenish square with the number of
unread messages.  You can click on the icon and it will take you to
the next unread message in thunderbird.  The few annoying things I
have come across so far is that it has a javascript popup to confirm
you want to read the next message before it takes you there, and there
is no way I can find to turn that off.  Also, even though in the
options it has options to "ignore the junk folder", I can't seem to
get it to ignore mine.  I haven't really looked into that though.

Anyway, I know neither is exactly what you want, but maybe they will help.

Preston