Anyone rolling a kernel nowadays?

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 19:01:42 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-10 at 15:29 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 10/08/2010 15:19, Ric Moore wrote:

> > OK! It'll blow or go. I'll let you know! Ric
> >

> The let's get on with the...SHOW!

First off, when I googled for instructions to roll my own with Ubuntu I
wound up here... http://howtoforge.com/roll_a_kernel_debian_ubuntu_way

...it wasn't until more than half way through that I noticed the date.
<sighs> this one needs to be updated, a bunch. Then this link was
provided here, in this list:
http://linuxtweaking.blogspot.com/2010/05/how-to-compile-kernel-on-ubuntu-1004.html
...and this worked. I had to go clear through to the end of the
instructions as the initrd file was not created and I had to do it
manually. But, the method to do that was noted. I would suggest that
they just make that part of the step-by-step.

THANKS for the tip on holding the shift key down during boot, otherwise
the crying towel would have been tossed into the ring. Being afraid of
the worst has it's virtue, that is why I asked.

NOW IT CAN BE TOLD! I got the initrd written, re-booted and the only
hitch was that I had to re-install the nVIdia driver through the
Hardware Drivers thingie. Rebooted again. This time no complaint! I set
my config to this kernel for Athlon, instead of the Intel setting that
was pre-configured. I figured something ought to drastically improve.

I got rid of all the laptop stuff, battery stuff, stuff like that. A
bunch of it was marked as static and not as modules. I figured I removed
a hefty bit of stuff. Network still networks and my mouse still mouses.
Xzibit "Dying 2 Live" blasts nicely out of my 5.1 speaker setup just
thumping as usual!!

So, I cranked up my wonderland server, which is java extensive as all
hell. I'm seeing no frame-rate increase ~at all~ through the client.
<glumps> THAT jerks me off, to a point. Or, it proves that the stock
kernel is about as good as it gets, unless I'm not removing enough cruft
from the kernel config.

BUT! I got some edumacation from this. If anyone sees any benefit from
continuing this thread, I'm willing to roll more kernels in an attempt
to get a server-style config'd kernel to see if I can coax some more
speed out of this old gal.  Being bored silly has it's advantages. :)
Ric