how to *completely* remove a package from the cmd line?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue Aug 10 11:42:22 UTC 2010

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010, Tyler J. Wagner wrote:

> dpkg -P package will utterly purge it, including config files. Even
> if it has already been removed, and shows status "rc", this will
> remove the configs too.
>
> Anything left after that was not installed by the package manager.
> It may have been generated by the software after installation, but
> it wasn't packaged or cleaned up by the "postrm" stage of the
> package.
>
> This is normal. And whatever is left behind shouldn't affect the
> operation of the system.

  at the risk of flogging this unmercifully (too late for that, i
suspect), i have a single package on my system that is marked "rc":

$ dpkg -l | grep ^rc
rc  authbind                                    1.2.0build3
Allows non-root programs to bind() to low po
$

  so, as i understand debian pkg mgmt, that means the package has been
removed but not necessarily purged.  so far, so good.  but what can i
use to see what files still exist that are (allegedly?) related to
that package?

$ dpkg -L authbind
Package `authbind' does not contain any files (!)
$

  and before i try truly purging the package, i'd just like to know
the incantation to show me what's still on my system that's related to
the package.  (as in, what's holding it up from being truly purged.)
i'm sure it's a trivial command, but i have no problem embarrassing
myself.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca