System Shutting Down Unexpectedly (Ubuntu 10.04)

Tom Browder tom.browder at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 19:59:42 UTC 2010

Update:

I discovered the launchpad link for the fwts project (blueprint) under
Colin King.  The blueprint is named:

  Automating BIOS testing to find BIOS errors

Its link is:

  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/kernel-maverick-bios-test-automation

I joined and linked my bug report with it:

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/612741

I got e-mail and interest in my problem from Colin and I have followed
his instructions to see if fwts can find the problem.  I have
installed fwts and reset everything back to "normal":

  boot line as installed
  BIOS "optimized defaults"
   screen saver on

and am to do the following after the next incident:

<quote>

1. Attach /var/log/messages
2. Attach /var/log/kern.log

and also run:

sudo fwts --dump

and attach:

the files it generates: acpidump.log, dmesg.log, dmidecode.log and lspci.log

</quote>

I'll also report results here when something new turns up.

Regards,

-Tom