Anyone rolling a kernel nowadays?

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at
Mon Aug 9 14:03:18 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 12:27 AM, Ric Moore <wayward4now at> wrote:

> Back in the day, I used to get significant gains in system speed once I
> rolled my own kernel. Of course we had way fewer options to consider in
> the configuration. I managed to run quite nicely with no modules at all,
> just the bare essentials were checked and the kernel "rolled". But, I
> haven't done this for quite a few years.
> The question to the group is: Is anyone doing this? If so, do you have
> enough gains to offset the effort? Just wondering. I can always use a
> speed gain. Ric

I do this on my Gentoo system, where it's very little extra work because you
to compile the kernel anyway.  It shouldn't be a lot under Ubuntu either,
for the actual compilation.  Almost always, I just copy the .config file
from the
previous kernel and do "make oldconfig" to bring it up to date.  Then
and install as normal.

In my case it's much less a matter of modules (I still have a few) than
tailoring the
optimization to my Xeon processors.

Kevin O'Gorman, PhD