The state of ext4 disck tools

Chan Chung Hang Christopher christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Sat Aug 7 23:54:56 UTC 2010

Jordon Bedwell wrote:
> On 08/07/2010 05:31 PM, Martin Webster wrote:
>> On Sat, 2010-08-07 at 16:05 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> The ext4 file system has far more files in /boot/grub/ directory than
>>> did ext3. There are fewer commands than ext3 but they do the job. The
>>> file that looks like menu.lst is grub.cfg.
>> I think you may have misunderstood a couple of things. The ext4 file
>> system is the method of storing and organising files on a computer (as
>> is ext3.) It is not responsible for booting the operating systems and
>> doesn't place files in the folder you mention. However, the ext4 file
>> system needs a version of GRUB that understands ext4. The latest version
>> of Ubuntu (10.04) uses GRUB2 (version 1.98 and above) and I suggest this
>> is why you're seeing different files in /boot.
>>
>> e2fsprogs provides the same utilities for ext2, ext3, and ext4.
>>

> This is a little fun to watch.

Not when you realize that it degrades the quality of the list archives.

> Almost funner to watch then the guy on the Debian list who thinks that
> updating a package will stop a rootkit embedded into the kernel from
> putting itself back into the binary.  Karl, where do you guys get your
> information from? Because I know Wikipedia didn't fail us :P, I just
> double checked to see if somebody defaced it with false or misleading
> information and it's pretty legit.

If he just blogged and not tried to make any attempts at technical
contributions, it would be entertaining but having to constantly watch
out for his posts to ensure someone corrects his erroneous concepts,
assessments and knowledge is not fun at all.