super user password?

Ray Leventhal ubuntu at swhi.net
Tue Aug 3 14:04:32 UTC 2010

On 08/03/2010 03:14 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 03/08/2010 16:54, hadi motamedi wrote:
>> Dear All
>> I have installed Ubuntu on my machine but at the Terminal I cannot
>> login as super user by issuing 'su - root' . During installation it
>> didn't ask me for super user password so how can I recover it ?
>> Thank you
>
> If you want to do something as root, then issue the command, "sudo
> <whatever you want to execute>" and you will be asked for the password
> which you used to login as YOURSELF.
>
> For example, you login with the password "apple", then it is "apple"
> which you use in answer to "sudo....".
>
> On the command line say you type "sudo mc"; you will then be asked for
> the password for<your-login-name>  - type "apple" and you are superuser [1].
>
> There is a special way of setting up the password for  "su -" which
> something like openSUSE uses but in Ubuntu all you need is to use "sudo"
> and then type your own login password.
>
> [1] to do almost all things, but you do need to setup "root", if
> absolutely necessary, to be "the ruler of the universe over your Ubuntu
> system" :-) . Using "sudo" is more than enough to keep your system fully
> functional. To find out more about this read the documentation starting
> here:  https://help.ubuntu.com/community
>

> BC

While all the comments here are 100% accurate in saying that one rarely
needs to 'be' root, I do often find myself issuing:

sudo su -

in order to obtain a # prompt and become root.  It's a lazy habit (as
most of my formative linux experience comes from RH and variants), in my
particular case, but I know the risks and am willing to take the heat if
I cause myself any :)

In any case, unless you've a good reason to 'be' root, I'd stick with
sudo <command> as others have suggested.

Just my 0.02.

-R