Ubuntu 2.6.31-19-generic monitor change

lazer1 lazer1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Apr 30 12:39:02 UTC 2010

On 29-Apr-10, NoOp wrote:
>On 04/29/2010 12:21 PM, lazer1 wrote:
>>
>> well I have found what xorg.conf should be but cannot instate it!
>>
>> by "trying Ubuntu without changes" that has xorg.conf
>>
>> for the monitor,
>>
>> the ModelName field is "PHILIPS 150"
>>
>> VendorName is "Monitor Vendor"
>>
>> DisplaySize is 300   230
>>
>> HorizSync is 30.0 - 61.0
>> VertRefresh is 56.0 - 75.0
>> Option is "dpms"
>>
>> but trying Ubuntu without changes doesnt allow me to read or write any
>>
>> files.
>>
>> this is a real catch 22 situation.

>Back to your problem; you could mount the drive/partition & then copy
>the xorg.conf from the liveCD file over to /etc/X11/xorg.conf in the
>problem drive/partition.

>From the liveCD.

>Open a terminal and then:

>$ sudo fdisk -l

I get an error message:

fdisk: invalid option -- 'l'

Usage: ......

>From GParted I can see that /dev/sda5 is an ext3 partition, it must be

for one of the Linuxes.

But when I try:

$ sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda5

I also get the same error message:

fdisk: invalid option -- 'l'

Usage: ....
       fdisk -l [-b SSZ] [-u] DISK  List partition table(s)

Here DISK is something like /dev/hdb or dev/sda

I just wonder if the live CD forbids any changes to the computer?