Need email server aid

Alvin Thompson alvin at thompsonlogic.com
Thu Apr 29 17:46:44 UTC 2010

On 04/29/2010 12:45 AM, Christopher Chan wrote:
>> Specious. You would have to resolve exactly those same issues if you
>> used HTTP or a custom protocol. The only difference is that you would
>> have to write any reliability code yourself.
>
> 1) Nobody uses http for discovering other devices and I never said that.

That's funny, because I don't remember ever saying that people used SMTP
for discovering other services, either. Yet you somehow thought it was a
valid argument when *you* used it JUST ONE POST AGO:

<quote who="Christopher Chan>
Hahaha, you have got to be kidding. How are you supposed to discover
other devices via smtp to get peer-to-peer working?
</quote>

So back to my original point which, of course, you never addressed: You
would have to resolve exactly those same issues if you used HTTP or a
custom protocol. The only difference is that you would have to write any
reliability code yourself.

> 2) There are custom protocols that eventually became standard protocols
> for discovering other devices. That is what switches and routers use
> today. If email or smtp were suitable to this task, they would long ago
> have used it or extended it for this purpose. Call it specious all you
> like, no one is ever going to use smtp or email for peer to peer
> communication between devices except maybe you.

First of all, so your argument really is, "you shouldn't do it because
nobody has done it before?"

Second, I've already told you several times that people (not just I)
have done it before. You simply choose not to believe it. People have
also invented machines that allow them to fly. Do you choose not to
believe that as well?

> What's the matter? You cannot even say a simple yes, I use smtp to
> remote control my web services/servlets or no, I actually just send
> reports only at the moment?

I've already answered that several times, including IN THE PREVIOUS
POST. Once again, pretending you never heard something is not the best
way to win an argument.