Lucid OEM install slow - possible to speed up the process?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 29 16:39:23 UTC 2010

On 04/29/2010 02:46 AM, Carsten Agger wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> On 04/28/2010 11:02 AM, Carsten Agger wrote:
>>> Now I benchmarked them using the same USB key and USB socket.
>>>
>>> Alternate install with OEM option, one hour twenty minutes.
>>>
>>> Live CD with OEM option, fifteen minutes.
>>>
>>> The alternate CD is doing something differently.
>>
>> You might consider filing a bug report:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity
>>

> Did now,
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/debian-installer/+bug/571628
>
> Filed it against debian-installer as this seems to be more precise,
> given that ubuquity is what runs on the live CD.
>
> Feel free to change if you think that is wrong :-)

Wow... that tends to open ones eyes to ext4 issues. I see Colin Watson
marked it as 'Won't Fix', but looks very much like a dupe of the bug
pointed to in the release notes[1]:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dpkg/+bug/570805
[[regression] dpkg fsync cause massive regression in Ubuntu Server and
Alternate installation times]

I wonder what your oem install time would be with ext3; perhaps you can
test?