Moving the /Home Partition, Permission Issues.

Amedee Van Gasse (ub) amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be
Thu Apr 29 15:34:55 UTC 2010

On Wed, April 28, 2010 20:29, Tuxman wrote:
> I'm getting ready to install 10.4 (8.04 currently), and I need to
> rearrange some partitions in preparation.
>
> I need to move my /Home partition out of the way temporarily and the
> only place I have to move it to is an NTFS drive that can't be changed.
> I can handle all of the repartitioning with GParted without a problem,
> but I'm weak when it comes to Linux file/folder permission issues.
>
> Are there issues here? How do I do this safely?
> If you can point me to a guide, that would be great. The more
> cookbookish the better.

If it's only temporarily, then you can tar it, and compress with gzip or
bzip2, and possibly split it, I don't know what the maximum file size is
on NTFS.
Tar preserves permissions.

# cd /home
Split it in chunks of 1024 MiB:
# tar -cjvp . | split -b 1024m - /mnt/backup/home.tar.bz2.
This will create files like home.tar.bz2.aa home.tar.bz2.ab home.tar.bz2.ac

Restoring can be done like this:
# cd /home
# cat /mnt/backup/home.tar.bz2.?? | tar -xjvp