Moving the /Home Partition, Permission Issues.

accessys at smart.net accessys at smart.net
Wed Apr 28 18:44:33 UTC 2010

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010, Tuxman wrote:

> Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 13:29:09 -0500
> From: Tuxman <tuxman at knology.net>
> To: Ubuntu Users Tech Support List Server <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Subject: Moving the  /Home Partition, Permission Issues.
>
> I'm getting ready to install 10.4 (8.04 currently), and I need to
> rearrange some partitions in preparation.
>
> I need to move my /Home partition out of the way temporarily and the
> only place I have to move it to is an NTFS drive that can't be changed.
> I can handle all of the repartitioning with GParted without a problem,
> but I'm weak when it comes to Linux file/folder permission issues.
>
> Are there issues here? How do I do this safely?
> If you can point me to a guide, that would be great. The more
> cookbookish the better.

have you considered moving it to an external drive for the duration??
when I upgrade I often will get a new hard drive, put the new stuff on the
new hard drive and run the second (original) drive as a "Slave" in case of
emergency you can then still just unplug the new drive and boot from the
old one.

Bob