Inkscape

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 28 17:43:12 UTC 2010

On 04/28/2010 10:11 AM, Linda wrote:
> Does anyone know how you reduce the size of the pdf file Inkscape
> creates?  In the past I have created brochures in Corel Draw on Windows
> and printed to PDF which left me a file that was under 200 kb. I have
> been playing with Inkscape so I can do the work without changing to a
> windows machine but the equivalent job creates a file that is nearly 2 mb
> I've tried dramatically reducing the size of the source jpg files but it
> is still 1.8 mb.

Maybe this will help:

http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Current_PDF_Support
<quote>
  Uncompressed PDF Output

At this time, it looks as if Inkscape only outputs uncompressed PDF
output. Once you export a PDF, look at its file size. If it is too large
for your application, then export the exact same file to EPS
(encapsulated postscript) and then use epstopdf to convert the file to
PDF. This will make a compressed PDF.

As an illustration, my 72 page document went from 80 megabytes down to 3.1.
</quote>