Lucid OEM install slow - possible to speed up the process?

lazer1 lazer1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Apr 28 15:35:31 UTC 2010

On 28-Apr-10, Carsten Agger wrote:
>Karl Larsen wrote:
>>>
>>> One problem with this approach is that it's incredibly slow, much slower
>>> than installing from the live CD. Why is that? I suppose it must be more
>>> or less the same packages.
>>>
>>      You may have used a slow USB stick.
>>
>Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be the case as the USB sticks were
>more or less identical. Apparently, the alternate installer is
>inherently much slower than the live install when installing from USB. I
>have no idea why this would be so, am now using the live CD's OEM mode.

is one socket USB1 and the other USB2?

>>> And, once oem-config-prepare is scheduled to run, might it be possible
>>> to simply replicate the installation by grabbing an image and copying on
>>> boot to another, identical computer? In that way one would only have to
>>> do the original OEM install once, the rest could be image-replication.
>>>

>>      This is exactly what you do in production of many computers with
>> the same software. There are good software to copy one hard drive from
>> another.
>>

>Thanks! Do you know of any, i.e. a name? (Preferably free software)

you can do sector copies of drives on Linux with shell commands:

dd if=/dev/sda1 of=somefile

that will copy the drive /dev/sda1 to a file somefile

probably to copy one drive to another you do:

dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/sda2

but try this out on a scratch machine in case it doesnt work.