RAID drop-out ERC/TLER was: DANGER!!! Problems with 10.04 installer (RAID devices *will* get corrupted)

Dave Howorth dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Wed Apr 28 09:01:03 UTC 2010

Rashkae wrote:
> My point, however, is that it's an oversimplification to say that these
> drives are unsuitable for use in raid array's.  They work perfectly fine
> as is, even if not the best for use in high availability environments.

I believe the assertion is that such drives drop out of the array even
when the situation just needs a normal sector reallocation. However, I
just posted my summary to make people more aware of the issue that
Clifford pointed out since I hadn't been previously aware. I suggest
that anybody who is interested/concerned reads the multitude of pages
out on the web and makes their own mind up.

Cheers, Dave