Wubi and ext4 problems

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 28 04:04:51 UTC 2010

On 04/27/2010 06:29 AM, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> Do any people here use Ubuntu 9.10 installed inside Windows (that is,
> with Wubi)?
>
> Has anybody seen problems like
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/570686
> (grub2 fails to read files correctly from the ext4 fs image)
>
> I'm a bit of a loss about what to do next, and in the meantime my
> sister's laptop cannot boot Ubuntu, so she's forced to use Windows...
>
> Marius Gedminas

I'm a little confused... I don't think 9.10 automatically installs ext4
or grub2:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/910
<quote>
Switching to ext4 requires manually updating grub

If you choose to upgrade your / or /boot filesystem in place from ext2
or ext3 to ext4 (as documented on the ext4 wiki), then you must also use
the grub-install command after upgrading to Ubuntu 9.04 to reinstall
your boot loader. If you do not do this, then the version of GRUB
installed in your boot sector will not be able to read the kernel from
the ext4 filesystem and your system will fail to boot.
</quote>

I could be wrong, maybe these will help:
http://wubi-installer.org/
http://wubi-installer.org/faq.php
http://wubi-installer.org/support.php
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide