samba client: default workgroup?

Luis Paulo luis.barbas at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 02:07:00 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 2:30 AM, Alvin Thompson <alvin at thompsonlogic.com> wrote:
> On 04/27/2010 08:57 PM, Luis Paulo wrote:
>> What you mean by samba "client"?
>>
>> If it is a linux machine with smbclient package installed, keep in
>> mind that the following may be in various way plain wrong.
>
> Yup, that's what I mean. Shares in the "default workgroup" will show up
> in Ubuntu's "Places-->Network" folder.  In order to find shares not in
> the default workgroup, you have to continue to drill down into "Windows
> Network", then "WORKGROUP_NAME", then "COMPUTER_NAME", and finally the
> share.  That gets tedious fast.
>
> So the question is, how to set that default workgroup?

I think I understand now what you want, but there is no default
workgroup, with "" or without it, in a machine without samba. With
samba there is the workgroup. Not the default one, there can be only
one :) for that machine.

Setting the default workgroup would probably be a "wild goose chase"
(is that how it is said?)

I think you want to find a way that machines/server of a specific
workgroup appears directly on nautilus Places-->Network .

Install samba. On the other hand, maybe just nautilus bookmarks can do
the trick.

Hope it helps, and I'm not saying rubbish
Luis