Networking/SSH Problems with 9.10

Tim H. bizdev at pwnspeak.com
Tue Apr 27 23:13:03 UTC 2010

>>      Are you using ssh on the laptop?
>
> I have sshd installed on all of my computers at home.  The laptop and both
> desktops.  Of course with the installation of sshd, I also have ssh
> installed.

Maybe I should be more clear.  The problem is from my Desktop which is
connected wirlessly using the Gigabyte Wireless G card.  The problem
does not show itself on my Laptop using a Realtek Wireless G card.

> Given the symptoms it's one possibility.  Try looking at
> /etc/resolv.conf and confirming that you can ping the nameservers.

I checked this.  I even changed my settings.  I was using my router
(192.168.10.1) as my DNS.  Here is the results from 100 pings:

--- 192.168.10.1 ping statistics ---
100 packets transmitted, 100 received, 0% packet loss, time 99124ms

Seems good.  I tried calling Comcast to use their DNS server directly,
however they can not provide me with one.  I have since changed the DNS
to be blank which results in timeouts, of course.

It should be noted, my settings on the laptop (which works without
problem) are identical to those on my Desktop (the comp with the
problem) with the exception of the LAN IP, of course.  Also, my settings
are the Desktop are identical to those I used on previous versions of
Ubuntu.

**BTW my network dropped 5 times while writing this e-mail :P

Tim H.