Basic setup

Luis Paulo luis.barbas at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 19:07:35 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 7:00 AM, Miroslav Skoric <skoric at eunet.rs> wrote:
> I recently installed Ubuntu 9.10 desktop. For a couple of days most of
> things worked well but it seems that I am not capable to setup a few things:
>
> 1. My modem, Zoltrix FMVSP36i (ISA card with IRQ 10) does not work
> without setserial setup but I do not know where to put it to do it
> automatically. (In Mandrake 9.1 I put it in /etc/rc.local or so, but in
> Ubuntu that does not work, i.e. it keeps IRQ 4 that is reserved for
> other devices.)

Please, check if you have a /etc/rc2.d/S99rc.local init script
(linking to a /etc/init.d/rc.local script).
That would make /etc/rc.local work.

> 2. I installed Thunderbird and wanted to use 'shared' profile as I have
> in Windows partition (that also worked well in Mdk 9.1). The problem is
> that I do not know how to mount that Windows partition automatically.

Don't know about this. But if you need to mount a ntfs partition,
you'll need ntfs-3g package and mount it alike any other partition
sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/sdXN /mnt/path
or edit your/etc/fstab

> 3. It also seemed that 'sudo' command suddenly stopped responding and I
>  get something like this:
>
> misko at desktop:~$ sudo setserial /dev/ttyS2 irq 10
> sudo: /etc/sudoers is mode 0551, should be 0440
> Segmentation fault
> misko at desktop:~$

First try
sudo chmod 440  /etc/sudoers

Next we'll see about the Segmentation fault
http://aplawrence.com/Unixart/segmentation_fault.html is a small post about that

Regards
Luis