How do I turn off a hung laptop?

J dreadpiratejeff at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 18:53:07 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 11:05, Cybe R. Wizard
<cyber_wizard at mindspring.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 15:28:44 +0100
> Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 3:14 PM, Laura Conrad <lconrad at laymusic.org>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Does anyone know anything good to do when CTRL-ALT-DEL doesn't work,
>> > and CTRL-ALT-F<n> doesn't get to a terminal, and the power switch
>> > doesn't do anything?  I've been pulling out the power cord and
>> > taking out the battery, and then the power switch turns things on,
>> > but there must be an easier way.
>>
>> Generally, just press /and hold/ the power button. 5-10sec is usually
>> enough.
>>
> I see that I should have read ahead.  I wasted my time answering what
> you have already answered.

Though another thing to consider... if Laura IS holding the power
button for > 5-10 seconds and nothing is happening, then maybe she's
got a hardware problem.  The power button should kill the system, but
if holding it in does nothing, that would explain her shutdown issues
and could also indicate a hardware problem severe enough to be the
root cause of whatever OS issue she's seeing that's prompting the
power button pushing.