Overscan? On HDTV used as monitor

Pete S peter.smout at o2.co.uk
Tue Apr 27 13:52:29 UTC 2010

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 12:43:02 -0700, NoOp wrote:

> On 04/24/2010 07:26 AM, Pete S wrote: ...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just to update this thread, I have been unable to reduce the overscan
>> on my orion 32in HDTV, I have tried adding various modelines to
>> xorg.conf with no luck, I ahve also tried altering the 'panning' option
>> from within my Nvidia settings, but every time I alter them they revert
>> back to default, with no change, (note I was running Nvidia settings as
>> root). The custom modelines in xorg had very little effect other than
>> to make it impossible to get gnome running at all!
>>
>> If anyone has any ideas I will happily try them, failing that will have
>> to live with it for the time being, as I have run out of ideas now!
>>
>> thanks for the suggestions, serves me right for buying a cheap HDTV!
>> will bear it in mind for future purchases!!
>
> You don't say which model exactly, so it hard to tell. However, you
> might be able to find a firmware update for your model. I have an
> Emerson 32" (Funai) and within an hour of plugging it in I'd updated
> it's firmware. Figured that doing it immediately & if it crapped I could
> take it back to the store :-) Anyway worked fine & fixed a few minor
> issues.
>
> Also check:
> <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&complete=0&q=orion+32in+HDTV+%
2Boverscan&btnG=Search>

> Seems that the overscan issue isn't just linux, or your particular
> model:
> http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=261&threadid=104246
> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=861041&page=2

Hi,

Sorry about the delay posting back, been very busy last couple of days!

Tv is an Orion TV-32082, if this helps as I have no idea how to update
the firmware of the set! (maybe as it is no longer under any sort of
guarantee, a step too far!).

As mentioned in my OP the issue is not exclusive to Ubuntu or Linux in
general, yet the Microsplot boffins have come up with a work-round, which
dispite much googling and visiting various forums across the net (thanks
NoOp for your suggestions) people far better qualified than me, have yet
to come up with in Ubuntu!

Perhaps I shall have to wait for the developers (great job they are
doing, as an entire system still far better than any flavour of Windows)
to resolve the problem as I am not the only one (thousands of posts for
all shades of os) to resolve!

Still intrigued by the panning setting on my Nvidia settings, will join
Nvidia forum and ask, and post back if any joy, if not may spur them on
to take action!

Reagrds

Pete S