grub sees 2 out of 3 systems...lucky me

Lucio M Nicolosi lmnicolosi at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 04:53:31 UTC 2010

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 9:43 PM, Robert Holtzman <holtzm at cox.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Apr 2010, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
>

>> I believe that by properly editing your menu.lst there's no way your
>> systems can keep "hiding" themselves.
>>
>> But I'm not sure.
>
> Me either. Running ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid/ indeed gave me all the
> partition UUIDs and since I knew what partitions 9.04 resides on and what
> those partitions are, I could tell that the stanza I entered in the 8.04
> menu.lst belonged to the 9.04 / partition. Just for the Hell of it I
> changed the UUID to that of the /boot partition (on my systems I put
> /boot on it's own partition). Same problem. "File not found".
>
> Also the stanzas were copied from my backup made when 9.04 would
> successfully boot so I'm confident they are correct.
>
> Did I miss anything?
>
> Anyone else? Please.

Bob,

If you can boot into something (8.04?) it means that your Grub1 is
working, it's just a matter of checking were are all the other boot
files.

If the entries in the menu.lst are correct, the several versions can
be booted, simple as that.

Perhaps you could fiddle with your menu.lst entries while still on the
Grub screen, choose the fugitive release and  press "e" for edit and
check alternatives.

Or put every existing partition in your /etc/fstab, mount them all and
since I'm sure you have already checked the UUIDs, please check again
the HD attribute (hdx,y) of the single or several /boot partitions
that you said you have created, (and should be hosting the boot
files). Are you sure these attributes are correct? Given the wrong
partition attribute, it would be impossible for Grub to find a file.

I'm out of help. Please, anybody there with the proper knowledge to
help Bob? One of those wonderful one line terminal commands that can
completely bare Bob's elusive boot partitions? Hello guys? Hey, Karl?
Calling K5DI. Haven't you got a cunning idea?

--
L M Nicolosi, Eng.
Lat.:  23°34'4.79"S - Long.: 46°39'59.53"W