Dell Laptops

Tab Gilbert tabbox at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 03:19:49 UTC 2010

> As for the heavy tech people, I am one of those ;-)  but if we ever
> start going over your head, just say so, someone will try to explain
> things in more simple terms (not being condescending, but we're all of
> different skill and knowledge levels here).
>
> Oh, I can handle most of what goes for semi-advanced amateur stuff but when
it comes to partitions, ip tables and more serious geek stuff I am more
hesitant and my interest wains.  Only so much time for matters and there is
always international politics, energy policy, developing world issues and so
on that also tug on the time.  It is like the local Linux group - that is
what they do for a living and for a little recreation.  I just want to know
enough that when the neighborhood's machine gets eaten by Window Worms and
they have no system disk I can get them back up and running.  I like the
Ubuntu philosophy and this Mark Shuttleworth fellow is very impressive
person.  Make a boat load of money and immediately blow some on a ride into
space.  Crap, I thought going to overland to Timbouktou was an adventure.
And then do this whole operation when he could be sitting on his rear at the
beach.  It makes one feel kind of positive to be involved, even on the
edges, of such an organization - even if  buttons are suppose to be on the
right and those notification boxes on the top right of the screen stay way
to long.  But I digress.

The biggest danger to getting deeper into Ubuntu is that it so simple to
install it sometimes makes easier to do an install rather than dealing with
hd1,sd2, etc.  Darn, once I learned that if you do not format the partition
when you do a "do over" install it is hardly worth the trouble to dig deeper
into strange bugs and other problems. Unfortunately, this DataSafe issue is
one that can not be installed over.

I seriously do appreciate all of the assistance I have received and it has
made me get more involved in answering some basic question of new members.
Plus, after putting Karl73 on a filter the list is a lot more fun to read.

thanks - tab