10.04 rc update problems

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Tue Apr 27 03:06:30 UTC 2010

On 04/27/2010 05:03 AM, NoOp wrote:
> Kjetil Halvorsen wrote:
>
>>   I did as proposed, and now under the boot process it starts the new violet
>> splash screen, but then changes opinion and dumps into a text shell! Any
>> other ideas?
>>
>> Kjetil
>
> My _guess_ is that the upgrade missed various packages when your
> internet connection was interupted.
>
> Boot to recovery mode. Once there select the dpkg menu item&  let dpkg
> finish loading/configuring any packages that may have been
> corrupted/missed from the internet interuptions during the initial
> upgrade. Repeat until dpkg no longer fetches/configures any packages.
>
> When finished with that, continue to normal login. That also will put
> you in text mode. However that's normal. Enter your username&  password,
> then:
>
> $ sudo apt-get upgrade&&  sudo apt-get update
> $ sudo apt-get install -f
> $ sudo dpkg --configure -a
> $ sudo update-grub
> $ sudo reboot
>
> Boot into the standard kernel (not recovery mode)&  see if all is
> workiing now.

Kjetil, Noop's suggestion is a good one. But you can also do the above
at text mode without going to recovery mode too, (that is, if you cannot
get to the grub menu to go to the recovery mode).

Did you override your 9.10 when you install 10.04?
If you need to check, please output
sudo fdisk -l
sudo blkid
and your /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Good luck - Goh Lip

ps: going to lunch break soon

--
Ah Life... eat, sleep,.....
what more can a man ask for...ah, yes.....