Ubuntu 9.10 and OpenLDAP

Luis Paulo luis.barbas at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 02:48:55 UTC 2010

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 12:52 PM, Arun Shrimali <arun.reso at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am fascinated with the idea of single directory server which preserve all
> the details of the users and would be used for the authentication for all
> the applications.
>
> Thus I am planning to setup Ubuntu 9.10 server with OpenLDAP. And
> authenticate the users openldap for SAMBA (PDS), Squid and Mail.
>
> But I have few queries :
>
> Do I have to create users on the server and sync with the OpenLDAP (as I am
> doing for samba right now) OR will create user directly over OpenLDAP ?

You can use  a migrate script to set your passwd users. Is that enough?

> How the user over network will be able to change their password ?

It's obvious (?) after you set your clients to use openLDAP

> Which is the best GUI to manage OpenLDAP, Smaba and Squid. I am planning for
> Webmin ?

And why not also apache, services, firewall, apparmor and selinux? Not
the way things are done on linux, I want to believe.
luma?
What about just permissions? LAN shares, printers, access to web...?
It should be easy, right?

> Is there any best “how to” for setting up for Ubuntu 9.10 and OpenLDAP
> 2.4.22

The very best, very best? Try this one :)
http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin24/intro.html#When%20should%20I%20not%20use%20LDAP

Now, really. I think openLDAP is a odd thing that soon will be replace
by something else. But I'm still looking into it. The
configuration/database is something from the dark ages.
If you have the time take a look at directory server from red hat and
tell us your opinion.
You may google for something like "directory server openldap +ubuntu"

Knowing that wasn't very helpful, with my best regards
Luis