grub sees 2 out of 3 systems...lucky me

Robert Holtzman holtzm at cox.net
Tue Apr 27 00:43:05 UTC 2010

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:

          .............snip...............

> I guess the first thing to do is check whether the HD definitions are
> correct (since the uuids do not easily change)
>
> Boot your system with GParted live CD and check the right parameters
> (hdx,x) for each partition, Lenny, Jaunty, Hardy and Karmic. You already
> know for sure (from your menu.lst) the correct id of your working
> partition. Perhaps it would be a nice time to label each partition with
> proper nickname.
>
> Then, enter the system that is still accessible and run:
>
>    ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid/

I don't think it has to be done from a live CD. I did it successfully from
a mounted 8.04 system. I learned this command some time ago but forgot
it in the interim.

> to get every UUID of your partitions. Since this command also gives you
> the number of the partition (sda1, sda3, etc) the first step is not
> really needed but you have to remember that in Grub1 (hd0,0) is in fact
> sda1, like in the example above where (hd0,8) was sda9. Grub2 changed
> this.
>
> Then you'll have to mount every single partition that contains a Linux
> version to get every kernel version you may find at
> media/[partition]/boot. Or you can check each /boot/grub/menu.lst and
> extract the commands lines for each kernel (like I roughly did above)
>
> With these informations you are now prepared to edit your menu.list in
> your working system, so that it addresses each kernel found in you
> computer with the proper HD Identification and UUID.
>
> Remember that in a computer with several system partitions the menu.lst
> has to be manually updated every time a (secondary) system has a kernel
> upgrade.
>
> I believe that by properly editing your menu.lst there's no way your
> systems can keep ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid/"hiding themselves".
>
> But I'm not sure.

Me either. Running ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid/ indeed gave me all the
partition UUIDs and since I knew what partitions 9.04 resides on and what
those partitions are, I could tell that the stanza I entered in the 8.04
menu.lst belonged to the 9.04 / partition. Just for the Hell of it I
changed the UUID to that of the /boot partition (on my systems I put
/boot on it's own partition). Same problem. "File not found".

Also the stanzas were copied from my backup made when 9.04 would
successfully boot so I'm confident they are correct.

Did I miss anything?

Anyone else? Please.

--
Bob Holtzman