What to replace a Palm Treo with - for use with Ubuntu.

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Mon Apr 26 14:41:42 UTC 2010

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 04:14:59PM +0200, Christoph Bier wrote:
> Chris G schrieb am 26.04.2010 10:03:
>
> > My wife's Palm Treo is feeling its age in various ways and needs
> > replacing.  Currently she synchronises the Treo with Evolution in
> > Xubuntu using the built-in Gnome/Evolution software.
> >
> > So, what can we buy now to replace the Palm that will allow her to
> > continue as far as possible in the same way?
> >
> > I'd prefer a solution that doesn't involve a separate server
> > system/process, especially one 'out in the cloud', but apart from that
> > we really don't have any major constraints.
>
> I don't know about any new device with similar easy Linux
> synchronisation as early Palm devices had. SyncML isn't well
> supported by device manufacturers or smartphone OS developers,
> respectively, and AFAIK there are no standalone synchronisation
> solutions for Linux (maybe Nokia's N900 supports the Linux community
> with such a solution?). You will always need a server---Funambol, if
> you don't like the cloud. But to be honest I don't have the time to
> play around with Funambol configuration. I abandoned my paranoia,
> bought a HTC Desire and use the cloud---I'm very happy with this
> convenient solution. YMMV.

Yes, I think I have been the same places as you with my E71, SyncML
promises much but isn't really there, I installed and ran Funambol for
a while but it's a huge complex application for such an ultimately
simple requirement.

What 'cloud' are you using with your HTC?  Do you synchronise with
Linux (Evolution) or do you just access the 'cloud' to look at your
data from the desktop?

--
Chris Green