4-core slow due to disk access

Sandy Harris sandyinchina at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 14:08:56 UTC 2010

On 4/26/10, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:

>  No. 7 terminals would only use a few dozen meg of RAM. I have a 4GB
>  machine as well, although only a dual core, and my machine almost
>  never uses any swap at all.
>
>  Also, I have not tweaked the setup & am on the orginal "swappiness".

Same here. Dual core with 4 gigs & almost never see swapping.
Always open: Firefox, Pidgin & a few terminals
Also often:    Amarok, a few Open Office windows
Sometimes:  LISP or C development

A big compilation can induce minor swapping, especially if
other things are running. Almost the only time I see heavy
swapping is when my buggy LISP code eats gigabytes of
memory just before crashing.