Upgrading to Ubuntu 10.4 LTS RC

Karl Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 11:52:40 UTC 2010

On 04/25/2010 07:59 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 26/04/10 06:08, Robert Holtzman wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 26 Apr 2010, Basil Chupin wrote:
>>

>>> There is a very good reason why I asked the man if he read the URL I
>>> provided.
>>>
>>> There it states:
>>>

>>> To avoid damaging your system, upgrading should only be done from one
>>> release to the next release (e.g. Ubuntu 9.04 to Ubuntu 9.10) or from
>>> one LTS release to the next (e.g. Ubuntu 6.06LTS to Ubuntu 8.04LTS). If
>>> you wish to 'skip' a version, you can backup your data and do a fresh
>>> installation, or progressively upgrade to each successive version. For
>>> example, to upgrade from Ubuntu 8.10 to Ubuntu 9.10, first upgrade to
>>> 9.04, then upgrade 9.04 to 9.10.
>>>
>>> He is upgrading from 8.04 LTS to 10.4 LTS. Whether 10.04 is released or
>>> not is immaterial, but the situation is covered by what the Ubuntu
>>> Upgrade instructions are stating.
>>>

>> As it states on the site you referenced, Third party s/w may be causing
>> his problem.
>>

> If one follows the prescribed procedures in the first instance then, if
> there are any hassles, the possibility of third party software causing
> the problems can be pursued. At this moment, from the way I read what
> the OP wrote, it would be a matter of simply chasing hares... :-) .
>
> BC

         Upgrading even from the just previous version seems to have
problems with sw on the old version that will not run on the new
version. This is just the way it is. That is why I always start in a new
partition every version of Ubuntu. This has been the easy route and I
recommend using it.

73 Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI