Seperating sound from a video.

Patton Echols p.echols at comcast.net
Mon Apr 26 00:12:34 UTC 2010

Ray Parrish wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to record myself playing along with you tube videos on my guitar
> with gtkrecordmydesktop, but do not need the video that this program
> records.
>
> Is there a program, or programs in the repositories that can extract the
> sound from a video, and save it as an mp3 file?

ffmpeg can do it, use the version from medibuntu so it has mp3 compiled
in.  So for a youtube video of something

ffmpeg -i something.flv -ac 2 -ar 44100 -ab 320 something.mp3

Mplayer can do it too.  Something like this:

 mplayer -dumpaudio somefile.flv -dumpfile somefile.mp3

Both can also handle other video file types.  These examples should give
rational results, but read the man pages for what you want to accomplish.

--PE