UPDATE BIOS 2.6.3

hensandpat at earthlink.net hensandpat at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 25 03:40:34 UTC 2010

axel wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-04-23 at 07:04 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> On 04/23/2010 02:18 AM, axel wrote:
>>
>>> I am running Ubuntu 8,04 on a Dell Inspiron 1501
>>>
>>> Intermittently ...When I boot up (or try to), I get two bug messages:
>>>

>>> 1. MP_BIOS bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC
>>>
>>> 2. PCI: BIOS BUG #81 [49435000] found
>>>

>>> Sometimes, the booting up process completes anyway; sometimes it
>>> doesn't. When it doesn't, I get stopped at an initramfs prompt and can't
>>> get beyond that.
>>>
>>> I have updated GRUB ...and this seems to help i.e. the booting up
>>> process is completed.But the BUG message still appears in the start up
>>> sequence screens
>>> With no luck I have tried to find a "download" for a Dell/Linux BIOS ,
>>> so I can update my BIOS : the problem arises in that the available "BIOS
>>> downloads" are directed at "Windows Users": I had Windows
>>> Vista....chucked it out and loaded Ubuntu in its place. So now the
>>> problem really is that I cant find a "Ubuntu based BIOS UPDATE "
>>> Can you help
>>>

>>          Yes. A BIOS update comes from the mother board maker, not
>> Windows or Ubuntu. Try that for a BIOS update. I have never updated a BIOS.
>>

>> 73 Karl
>>

>> --
>>
>> 	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
>> 	Linux User
>> 	#450462   http://counter.li.org.
>>          Key ID = 3951B48D
>>

> Point taken,
> Thank you,
> Axel.

Me too,Thanks Karl Anyway I am looking at a booklet "Windows for
dummies" and I am one off them, I don't know how this thing got on my
desk but there are so many things I don't know.
I have a gateway computer here with windows and linux, hung with grub 5,
because I had lost windows and tried to revive it with a PclinuxOs cd.
No luck yet. John