Need email server aid

Chan Chung Hang Christopher christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Sun Apr 25 11:38:55 UTC 2010

Alvin Thompson wrote:
> On 04/24/2010 02:56 AM, Chan Chung Hang Christopher wrote:
>> How do you verify the email source before you implement the command(s)?
>
> If you have the device's public key, you can accept only messages
> encoded with the devices private key.  I believe this is done at the
> transport level (the TLS handshake), so you don't have to worry about it
> in your code or write any code differently--it just works.  See articles
> on how PKI (public key infrastructure) works.  It's quite interesting.

I doubt that using smtp, however secured, for auto configuration or
whatever automatic stuff is a good idea.

>> An embedded web server for remote control is something that would be
>> expected nowadays if you ask me. And maybe your own protocol and a
>> client gui on Windows/Linux/Mac OS X/OpenSolaris.
>
> That's fine if there is aways going to be a human to send the all
> messages and verify every message is sent.  Otherwise, you'll need
> software to send the messages reliably.  See my message above pointing
> out that SMTP achieves that reliability without too much additional
> complexity.  But I agree that you can (and probably should) add a
> lightweight web server for showing status and for remote commands that
> are necessarily human-controlled.

/me stares at list of various protocols, proprietary and open, used for
router/switch/access-point configuration/communication.

Hmm, none of them chose to use an existing protocol like smtp with its
email parsing overhead.

> As a Java developer, I'll point out that a web server with JMS can also
> approximate the reliability of SMTP, but it's much more complex to
> implement and adding a Java and J2EE stack may be use up more resources
> on an embedded device than he wants or has.

Reliability of smtp? I suppose if delays of five days or a day are
tolerated or not at all....