Networking/SSH Problems with 9.10

Tim Henderson bizdev at pwnspeak.com
Sun Apr 25 00:23:30 UTC 2010

I am a xubuntu user, however I have found this problem to exist under
Ubuntu as well.

I realize I was having networking problems during SSH sessions.  While
ssh'd into my server the network would "drop" for up to 30 seconds at a
time where any command I typed would not show up in the terminal for up
to 30 seconds.  Eventually the network comes back and my commands all
flow through at once.

While I though this was originally an SSH problem, I have realized the
problem exists while normally using my computer/server.  Firefox
sessions will just not load for seconds.  During this time I attempt to
run `host google.com` in my terminal.  A few second pass then finall the
host cmd loads while the firefox page loads.

I have another computer running 9.10 which is directly plugged in with
no problems.  And a laptop with 9.10 connecting wireless through a
realtek NIC, also no problems.......So I assume there is a networking
issue with either of my Wireless NIC or my router.  I use a Netgear
Wireless N router and a Gigabyte Wireless G card.

This problem never occurred with any previous versions of Ubuntu or
Xubuntu dating back to 8.04.

Has anyone had any similar network drop problems on their Ubuntu machine
running 9.10?

Does anyone know what may have changed between 9.04 to 9.10 regarding
networking scripts/apps/bins which would effect connectivity?

Thanks,
Tim H.