Overscan? On HDTV used as monitor

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 24 19:43:02 UTC 2010

On 04/24/2010 07:26 AM, Pete S wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just to update this thread, I have been unable to reduce the overscan on
> my orion 32in HDTV, I have tried adding various modelines to xorg.conf
> with no luck, I ahve also tried altering the 'panning' option from within
> my Nvidia settings, but every time I alter them they revert back to
> default, with no change, (note I was running Nvidia settings as root).
> The custom modelines in xorg had very little effect other than to make it
> impossible to get gnome running at all!
>
> If anyone has any ideas I will happily try them, failing that will have
> to live with it for the time being, as I have run out of ideas now!
>
> thanks for the suggestions, serves me right for buying a cheap HDTV! will
> bear it in mind for future purchases!!

You don't say which model exactly, so it hard to tell. However, you
might be able to find a firmware update for your model. I have an
Emerson 32" (Funai) and within an hour of plugging it in I'd updated
it's firmware. Figured that doing it immediately & if it crapped I could
take it back to the store :-) Anyway worked fine & fixed a few minor issues.

Also check:
<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&complete=0&q=orion+32in+HDTV+%2Boverscan&btnG=Search>

Seems that the overscan issue isn't just linux, or your particular model:
http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=261&threadid=104246
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=861041&page=2