OT: Free Hosting for Big files

Hal Burgiss hal at burgiss.net
Sat Apr 24 17:25:12 UTC 2010

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 1:19 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> How big a files. www.dropbox.com will give you 2GB free, as will Ubuntu
>> One. Dropbox works on Linux, Windows, Mac and iPhone. Ubuntu ONe is
>> Ubuntu only.
>>

> Works on Linux? What does that mean? What does file hosting have to do
> with the OS of the person accessing the files? Or do you mean that
> other file hosting sites require IE or some other Windows-only feature
> in order to _upload_ files?

The dropbox "folder" shows on your desktop just like it was a local
folder, when in essence the contents are on the dropbox server. And
works just like that, you can drag things to it, etc. This requires
some system level stuff, which I think runs as a daemon. They have an
Ubuntu deb to make it all work seamlessly on Linux desktops.

--
Hal