plugin for .wmv files

Karl Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 13:12:20 UTC 2010

On 04/23/2010 10:51 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Patton Echols wrote:
>
>> Mark C. Miller wrote:
>>
>>> 6.  Does anyone know of a driver for .wmv files that I can manually
>>> download?  I hate to have to switch to Windows (my school computer
>>> has a WUBI set-up).
>>>
>> Did you try
>> sudo apt-get install w32codecs libdvdcss2
>> or for 64 bit
>> sudo apt-get install w64codecs libdvdcss2
>>
> And don't forget to enable the medibuntu repository [1] before you try
> that because these packages are not available from the standard repos.
>

> Nils
>
> [1]<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu>

         My experience this morning is the following: I tried sudo
apt-get for the 64 bit and it failed. Still nothing when I put a DVD
movie in the player.
Then went to the Medibuntu web page and did the wget they ask for by
copying it from the web to a terminal. That ran on my 10.04 updated
system and tried the DVD again and it works!

     So forget the above apt-get. It doesn't work on 10.04.

73 Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User