Strange Grub Error Message on dual boot Dell laptop

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 24 02:56:02 UTC 2010

wrote:
>> On 04/23/2010 06:27 PM, J wrote:
>>> On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 19:32, NoOp <j
>>> can'tfigureouthowtodisabletheiremailclientsothatitdoesn'tincludetheemailaddresshere>
>>>
>>> Do you have any sort of backup software or system restore stuff
>>> running automatically in Vista?  Even stuff that came
>>> pre-installed like Dell's local backup software, or what have
>>> you?
>>
>> Well no... I don't. Or were you meaning to reply to Tab?
>
> Actually, I replied to ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com but happened to
> tag my reply to your post.  Sorry, accidentally deleted the first
> couple lines.  How about providing some useful info instead of just
> being a tool and making snide comments about mail client software?
> Especially since reinstalling grub is of no use if the grub data is
> just going to be overwritten every time Tab boots into Windows...

First of all thanks for fixing your email client :=) My comments were to
ask you if you were replying to me. Obviously you weren't so you needed
to fix both your client reply header *and* your client atribution.

I thought that I provided "useful info" in the reply to Tab. I think
that the place to start is to: 1) ensure that grub is installed
properly, and 2) update grub. If you don't find that useful, then sorry
about that.

> Tab said:
>> Vista had a security upgrade and after it finished I got the
>> following error message when restarting the machine.
>
> As I have JUST gone through with this same thing happening after a
> "Security Update" I have a pretty good feeling that just
> reinstalling grub is NOT going to help here.  How do I know this?
> Because I reinstalled grub several times before I was able to figure
> out what was going on in Windows that was corrupting or overwriting
> grub data. He can re-install grub until the cows come home, but until
> he fixes whatever it is in his Vista install that's overwriting the
> grub data at boot time, he's going to KEEP reinstalling grub after
> every time he boots into windows.

Well let's see... you may be right, but your first "useful info" stated
that you were using Win7 and:

<quote>
 As soon as I booted Windows (Win 7 in my case) the Dell
software would run, it would screw up the grub data, and I'd no longer
be able to boot the system.  Happened EVERY time I booted Windows.

So, I finally fixed grub via the live CD, rebooted into Windows, and
just deleted the hell out of all that pre-installed crap I never used
anyway...  problem solved, as the Windows software no longer exists,
and thus can no longer overwrite parts of grub (this was mainly an
issue with Grub 2, and it sounds like maybe you did an update, ended
updating to grub2, and then your problems started.
</quote>

That's helpful...

Look, I also have a multiboot: Win7, 8.04, 9.10, 10.04 (no Vista) and I
also have iTunes on that Win7 partition. I've not experienced any issues
like the OP, or what you are stating. So, my *best guess/advise* to Tab
is to first ensure that his grub is installed properly and updated.
  However, it's quite possible that the OP's issue are the same as yours
& maybe the http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1449431 will
resolve the issue (I hope so). That said; my post to you wasn't claiming
those weren't valid. But you knew that of course... didn't you?