DANGER!!! Problems with 10.04 installer (RAID devices *will* get corrupted)

Nikolai K. Bochev n.bochev at grandstarco.com
Fri Apr 23 17:40:01 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
> > Doing backups would be the right thing to do because RAID is NOT a
> > backup solution. It is a fault-tolerance and in some cases, a
> > performance solution. With the right hardware and the right
> > configuration, RAID enables your machine to continue working even
> > after a drive, two in some configurations, fails and again with the
> > same criteria, you can get better performance. That is essential for
> > servers that must have high availability or special needs like
> > having fast database read times. If you have a hot swap device, you
> > can replace the
> > defective drive without powering down and the RAID set will rebuild.
> > Performance during the rebuild will be reduced but lower performance
> > usually is better than being off-line. Before the dead drive in the
> > RAID set has been replaced and during that rebuild process, you have
> > a vulnerability window in most RAID configurations where failure of
> > one more drive will break the RAID set. That's why it's important to
> > have spare drives on hand to replace the failed drives as soon as
> > possible.

If you care about your information being safe you'd use something like RAID6 ( i know i do on my servers ). Always setup the backups first tho :)

> > Someone mentioned using SATA drives for RAID. Beware. Many, perhaps
> > most, of the consumer grade SATA drives aren't suitable for using in
> > RAID. The drive manufacturers have made firmware changes that
> > prevent them from being used in RAID configurations, apparently.
> > Western Digital, for example, has their consumer drives, which have
> > three year
> > warranties, and their "professional" drives, which have five year
> > warranties. The pro drives are at least double the cost of the
> > consumer drives but they're RAID-certified and have different
> > firmware. I have no
> > idea what happens if you use a consumer drive in a RAID
> > configuration. It might work but not optimally.

Well if you are ready to spare the money for a really good raid controller, you will pay the extra for the RAID Edition drives as well, or it won't make sense.
SATA II make perfect raid disks , but again it depends on what kind of disks, and what are you really trying to do :) If you want a cheap raid to use at home, normal sata disks + mdadm should work good.