Update fails

Steve yorvik.ubunto at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 23 11:26:56 UTC 2010

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 11:58:05 +0100, william drescher
<william at techservsys.com> wrote:

>>> I started with 9.04, and did as you suggested. All went without
>>> apparent error, a new kernel was installed. At reboot it still
>>> reports 9.04, I expected 9.10
>>>
>>> ?
>>>
>>> bill
>>
>> Ah hah. The mistake you are making, Bill, is in thinking that kernel
>> level = ubuntu release level. Updates will notify you of a new kernel
>> that will work with your Ubuntu release level.
>>
>> If you want to do a release level upgrade that's a different issue
>> entirely. You could do it via terminal:
>>
>> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
>>
>> Or you could do it from gui:
>>
>> 1) Alt-F2 (to get a "Run" box)
>> 2) update-manager -d
>>
>> Update manager will do it's thing. You'll be told that there's a
>> distribution upgrade available (new release 10.04). Which you can then
>> launch. It will take a while. I suggest backing up anything that is
>> deadly important first. Just in case.
>>
>> HTH.
>

> Thanks, I did not appreciate the difference between upgrade and
> dist-upgrade.
>
> However, when I do this (cli - this is the server version) it
> says 0 upgraded
>
> bill

To move from 9.04 to 9.10, if that’s what you want to do

Network Upgrade for Ubuntu Servers (Recommended)

Install update-manager-core if it is not already installed:
	sudo apt-get install update-manager-core

Launch the upgrade tool:
	sudo do-release-upgrade

Follow the on-screen instructions.

--