help use gedit to edit server files

Luis Paulo luis.barbas at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 17:28:45 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 8:59 AM, Johnneylee Rollins
<johnneylee.rollins at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 4:36 PM, Luis Paulo <luis.barbas at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 6:44 PM, Hal Burgiss <hal at burgiss.net> wrote:
>>> If this "php" code is web server related stuff, I would strongly vote
>>> for a revision control system like bzr, svn, or git. These can be
>>> published such that the remote system (eg a web server) is updated
>>> from your local development system. The advantages are you have
>>> multiple copies of your sources (ie backups), you have a revision
>>> history which can be rolled back, you have logging, and you have a
>>> copy (really a clone) of the code locally such that you can use
>>> whatever tools you want, with the benefit of not having the latencies
>>> caused by networked connections. You can also test changes locally too
>>> before publishing since its very easy to set up a LAMP server on
>>> Ubuntu.
>>>
>>> Its a little effort to set up initially because of a learning curve,
>>> but well worth the effort. I prefer bzr which is very easy to create a
>>> repo with, and works remotely via sftp, so any sane system can be a
>>> "server". In fact, once you get your ssh keys set up, its trivial to
>>> do an update.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hal
>>>
>> I'm using subversion, still a newbie, but I'm liking it. As far as I
>> went, I also recommend it.
>>
>> For those even more newbies than I, its a great group work tool, or
>> you can use just as "work from different places/machines" tool, as
>> long as the base machine, with the repositories, is reachable.
>>
>  I prefer git, you get the whole repository and you can take it and
> commit to it locally, keeping the repository with you. You can even
> push it to a server you keep the server on. git is very nice, perfect
> tool for me.
>
> --

I choose subversion exactly because, when I started, I read it has a
main repository and on others (I'm guessing git is one of those), the
repository was distributed among users (or something alike).

But, as I said, that was a newbie choice, not really an informed one.
I just wanted to check it out. The control versions systems, that is,
and that's what I meant to recommend, not a particular software.

Maybe we should get this to a new thread, if anyone wishes to?

Thanks
Luis